Happy Sunday, loves! One of the small things that’s been kinda difficult during lockdown for Matt and I has been choosing what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner at home every single day. I always meal plan each week and I love creating new meals, but knowing we HAVE to eat each meal at home that I’ve pre-planned gets kinda old. LOL!
It has been a weird adjustment to not be able to just pop out to the grocery store whenever if we need something additional on the way to or from work. Obviously non-essential shopping is still being discouraged, and as I’ve been working from home for the past two and a half months I’m not passing grocery stores every day. It looks like I’ll be working at home for at least a couple more months (I’m so happy about this!) so I guess it’s good to really get used to doing a big weekly shop and then making do with what we have the rest of the week. It’s a much more simple way of life that I actually really enjoy for the most part. You guys already know but we LOVE our breakfast food, and breakfast dates are one of our very favourite parts of our weekends (pre-Corona).
For our breakfasts at home we typically rotate between cinnamon rolls, bagels, pancakes, eggs, yogurt with granola and fruit or bacon sandwiches. We don’t really love cereal (although we do enjoy it more late at night… why does it taste better then?) These options are our go-to’s that are super quick and easy, but when we fancy something a little extra, like on Saturday’s or Sunday’s, we have been really enjoying these breakfast burritos! They are super filling and it’s the closest we’re going to get to any kind of Mexican style breakfast for a while. I totally get why, but it still makes me so sad that I have no idea when we’ll be able to go for breakfast dates again!
- 1 x large sweet potato
- 1 x bell pepper
- 2 x eggs
- 6 x chipolata sausages
- 4 x slices of chipotle chilli cheese
- 1/2 can of baked beans
- 2 x wraps (I prefer wholemeal but they were out when I went grocery shopping on this week!)
- olive oil
- chipotle sauce, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic* to taste
*I’m aware garlic is probably not something most people would add to breakfast food (or any Mexican style dish) but I always use garlic in cooking and I like it to season the sausages. You could totally skip this ingredient!
Step by step:
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Boil a pan of water, add the two eggs and a pinch of salt and boil for seven minutes. (For hard boiled eggs. This is just how I do it because I don’t really like eggs cooked any other way right now, I have no idea why because scrambled eggs used to be my favourite. If you want to fry, scramble or poach them you can do this step last before you assemble your burritos).
- Cut your sausages into small pieces, dice your pepper and place mixed together on a foil lined tray. Cover with olive oil, chipotle sauce and seasonings of your choice. Place in the oven.
- Chop up the sweet potato into small cubed pieces, place onto baking tray and cover with olive oil and seasonings of your choice.
- I cook the sausages and peppers for approximately 22 minutes in total, and the sweet potatoes for around 15 minutes. This is why I put them in the oven in that order!
- Peel your eggs, cut into small pieces and set to one side.
- Cook half a can of beans as per the pack instructions.
- Place tortilla wraps into your dish, line cheese along the bottom. Add in your cut eggs and baked beans.
- Remove sweet potatoes, sausages and bell peppers from the oven and add into the wraps. I typically add a little more cheese on top so the cheese covers most of the mixture and keeps the wrap tight.
- Fold in edges, wrap up tightly and place your dish in the oven for eight to ten minutes, until the tortilla has hardened and all your cheese is gooey and delicious.
That’s it! It definitely is not the quickest breakfast to throw together but it’s maybe one of the most delicious?! We genuinely look forward to the next time we’re going to eat it, I like that we’re creating fun traditions during lockdown even if they’re super small 🙂
Thanks so much for reading! Are you going to try these burritos out? You could definitely swap any of the ingredients out easily or add in anything extra you may like. I hope you love them as much as we do!